• Apr 30 / Girls Varsity SoccerLiberty High School - 4, Zumwalt East - 0
  • Apr 29 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 6, Troy - 0
  • Apr 29 / Girls Varsity SoccerLiberty High School - 2, Incarnate Word - 1
  • Apr 27 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 12, Barstow - 2
  • Apr 27 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 6, Barstow - 8

Are Football Fans Overreacting?

Some fans don’t want the Chiefs to win and claim that Taylor Swift ruined football
Avery Bowen
Some diehard football fans are frustrated about seeing Taylor Swift attending Travis Kelce’s games and getting screen time during the broadcast.

“Taylor Swift ruined football,” “Lamar save us,” and “Ravens need to win” are all phrases that you have probably heard this past week. Taylor Swift, currently one of the most famous people in the world, has been attending the Chiefs games to support her boyfriend, Travis Kelce, and at the same time has been infuriating some football fans.

The Kansas City Chiefs, nicknamed by some as the Kansas City Swifts, have been doing well this season. However, even though they are doing good, that doesn’t mean that everyone was rooting for them in the game against the Ravens that took place on Jan. 28.

“Lamar save us” was something it seemed everyone was saying on TikTok. People would put these words over a video of the Ravens’ quarterback Lamar Jackson winning the game against the Chiefs, and even sometimes including pictures of Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce. Some football fans were posting this because they didn’t want to see Swift at the Super Bowl. Others did this because they were tired of seeing “Swifties” at the games.

But what is really causing all the hate? Is it the couple seconds of screen time she gets once the Chiefs make a play? Unlike what fans make it sound like, Swift really doesn’t get that much time on camera. According to Deadline, in the game against the Ravens, Taylor Swift got a total of 44 seconds of screen time. And in that time, she even seemed annoyed that she was on camera.

In Taylor Swift’s Person of the Year profile on TIME, she addressed the issue, saying, “I’m just there to support Travis. I have no awareness of if I’m being shown too much and pissing off a few dads, Brads, and Chads.” 

There are other issues that football fans are angry about as well, one of them being the Swifties. People are bringing signs about Swift to the games, such as “Go Taylor’s boyfriend” and “What’s football anyway? Ew.” 

But is the NFL overdoing it? Taylor Swift is one of the most famous people alive right now, so obviously they would want to show her. Sure, her fans could be annoying to some people, but it is getting the NFL more money and viewers. That means that it is in their best interest to show Taylor Swift, so they will keep doing it.