Kruse Wins Support Staff of the Year

Once a former student at LHS, Savannah Kruse is now connecting with students on another level
Kruse and Dr. Nelson standing together after she receives her award
Jonathan Hall

Everyone needs someone to rely on and be there for them. People need the comfort of a strong support person. Savannah Kruse is that person for students around Liberty.

Kruse won Support Staff of the Year on Feb. 12. She says winning the award was very special to her because it is her first year in her new position as a co-teacher. 

“Winning the award means a lot to me,” Kruse said. “It was my first year in this position. The teachers that I’m in their classes help me out a lot so I think it was more of a group thing than just a me thing.”

I want to continue helping students throughout their school year.

— Savannah Kruse

Kruse isn’t new to LHS either, she was in the graduating class of 2017. Being a student at LHS made the decision of coming back easier for Kruse. When she was in high school, she loved going to Liberty and connecting with the staff. In the future, Kruse wants to get a certified teaching position and work at LHS. 

“I want to continue helping students throughout their school year,” she said.  

In her free time, Kruse loves going to concerts, going on hikes, and coaching basketball. She is the JV girls varsity basketball coach at LHS. Mr. Walterbach, who has known Kruse since her junior year and coaches alongside her, says that her commitment to the team is amazing.

Savannah and I are always running ideas off of each other to better our team,” Walterbach said.

Walterbach says that Kruse is always cheerful and knows everybody.

“To learn and know all of these students says a lot about her. A good rule in life is to surround yourself with good people, and that is Savannah. I’m very lucky to work with Savannah and have her be a friend,” Walterbach said. 

Liberty is a special place for Kruse since she was a student here. She enjoys the staff and the students that make up Liberty. She said she is biased, but that “LHS is the best school around by far and I’m so lucky to be a part of it.”