• Apr 25 / Girls Varsity SoccerLiberty High School - 2, Ursuline - 1
  • Apr 24 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 7, Holt - 5
  • Apr 24 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 4, Holt - 1
  • Apr 23 / Girls Varsity SoccerLiberty High School - 2, Howell North - 1
  • Apr 22 / Girls Varsity SoccerLiberty High School - 0, St. Dominic - 3

Winter Formal: A Wake Up Call For Safety

Rumors about the Winter Formal have been spreading leaving people with safety concerns
Echo Brooke
Safety is a big concern, especially at school events. So what happened at winter formal?

There’s a good chance by now you have heard rumors about the Winter Formal. Liberty’s Winter Formal took place on Saturday, Feb. 24, Most people don’t know for sure what happened at the dance, but theories are spreading like wildfire.

As you may have noticed, most of the rumors surround the water at the dance. A number of people have stated that after drinking the water at the Winter Formal, they started feeling light-headed, dizzy, or extremely tired. One anonymous source said, “My memory was going in and out and I don’t remember getting home.” 

High schoolers shouldn’t have to worry about whether they are going home safely, because they drank water at a school dance. They shouldn’t have to worry about unknowingly ingesting something that could get them intoxicated while at a “safe” event. 

Another worrying rumor is that the water jugs were not cleaned before the dance. If the jugs were not cleaned properly, it can lead to bacteria and infection spreading from the water supply, and efforts should always be made to provide safe food and drinks. 

With big events it’s easy for the situation to turn dangerous. Knowing self-defense and personal safety is a way to avoid dangerous situations, and it’s important for people to learn.

We interviewed Principal Nelson, who was present at the dance, and he has commented on the events and student safety. 

When asked if the rumors were true, he said “I couldn’t tell,” Nelson said. “I personally tested all the water myself and couldn’t taste or smell anything. The middle container the girl pointed out we immediately got rid of.” 

We also asked him about possibly adding a personal safety/self-defense course or club to Liberty. He said “Yeah, I don’t think we’d be opposed to that.” 

Safety and protection should always be taken seriously. We have come up with a list of ways to protect yourself and others from possible harm. Stay safe, Liberty.

Safety Methods