Weekend Adventures

Broemmelsiek Park has something to offer for everyone

The River Birch trail head is one of the most popular trail heads in the park.

Sophia Seger

Sophia Seger

Sophia Seger, Reporter

Not many people know the ins and outs of the St. Charles County Parks & Recreations, but Broemmelsiek Park is as good as it gets in the Lake St. Louis area.

Broemmelsiek Park features 494 acres of land that includes multiple large lakes, over seven miles of multi use hiking trails, an astronomy viewing area and a 4.7 acres of an off-leash dog park that includes agility obstacles and a large pond with a dock.

Broemmelsiek also has large pavilions filled with picnic tables and a playground is always nearby making it the perfect place for any family occasion.

Broemmelsiek Park was named in honor of Jack Broemmelsick. The park was home to the Broemmelsiek family for over 30 years but now the family home has been transformed into a visiting center and is rich in St. Charles history. The visitor center is open during park hours and has rentable rooms for $150 per day.

If you plan on taking your dog for an adventure, Broemmelsiek Park is the place to go. The River Birch trail head offers access to a creek that pups love to splash around in on a hot summer day.

And if you aren’t feeling like hiking, the dog park is a good way to wear your pup out while you sit in the shade. In case your dog gets messy while bouncing around in the creek, there is a dog wash station by the pavilion.

Tim Wesley has been coming to Broemmelsiek for a few months now and thoroughly enjoys the biking/multi use trails. 

“I usually come here to bike, maybe fish on occasion,” Wesley said.

Sophia Seger
The rugged trails make a perfect place for mountain bikers.

Junior Cailey Chapman is frequent visitor who goes to Broemmelsiek Park every weekend if possible.

I’ve been going for six months and my favorite part is the dog park and the lakes, Chapman said. I love watching the sunsets.

Overall, Broemmelsiek Park is the perfect place to go for a short, yet fun adventure. As summer winds down, make sure to get as many trips in as possible and make your weekends something to remember.

Sophia Seger, Reporter

Sophia Seger is a freshman and this is her first year on the publications staff. Last year at Frontier Middle school, she participated in a writing club where she spoke to editors for Wildfire Publications and was picked to be published. Sophia enjoys writing about experiences she has went through. She lives with her father and sister and also has a older  brother. She has nine pets, including six reptiles and three golden retrievers. Outside of school, she spends her time listening to music and taking care of her animals along with hanging out with her friends. She also lost one of her snakes for a year. Sophia would like to pursue a career in journalism or healthcare.