Three New Clubs Start At Liberty

Coding, Aviation, and ASL find homes on campus

Alix Queen

Manav Vinotha Raja (11) began coding club as a way for students to learn and foster a love for coding.

Kyndall Stubblefield, Reporter

Coding Club:

Coding Club started in the middle of November and has been meeting in room 405 or on Zoom on Wednesdays from 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. Every other Wednesday meeting is held over Zoom. During these meetings, the club president, junior Manav Raja Vinotha leads lessons on coding concepts. This club is sponsored by Ms. Ehlers.

“I don’t think that any student should not have the opportunity to better themselves,” Ehlers states when asked about why she chose to sponsor this club.  

Aviation Club:

The first meeting for Aviation Club was on Jan. 20. The club’s president is sophomore Mason Leone and its sponsor is Mr. Creen. Creen has a pilot’s license and teaches aerospace engineering. He also has his drone license, which allows the club to fly the drone during meetings. They meet after school in room 322 to discuss how to properly fly a plane using a flight simulator. Aviation club may also meet on the weekends so that they can visit airports and talk to pilots. The main goal of this club is to help the members decide if a piloting career is right for them. 

ASL Club:

ASL Club, or American Sign Language Club, had its first meeting on Dec. 6. They now meet every other Monday at 2:35 p.m. in room 400. Mr. Range, who is the club sponsor, explains that this club was started because he was approached with the idea, and “it sounded like a really original club idea with real-world application.” The club president is sophomore Lily Nelson who brought the idea to Mr. Range. At each meeting, a parent of one of the members gives a lesson “introducing new signs and reviewing past signs.” This club teaches proper sign language etiquette and how to communicate effectively.