Eighth Grade Night Is A Time For Students To Explore Clubs And Opportunities

Art+teacher+Mrs.+Middendorf+set+up+hands-on+activities+where+students+could+practice+using+clay.+

Alix Queen

Art teacher Mrs. Middendorf set up hands-on activities where students could practice using clay.

Lydia Hamby, Reporter

Eighth graders who will explore new environments and a make fresh start to high school this coming August visited Liberty on Feb. 8 from 6-7:30 p.m.  

Classes, clubs, and sports set up booths to convince students to join their organizations. Many said they were ready for the new experience at the high school. 

Students are encouraged to take a foreign language their freshman year and all three languages were there advertising their classes. For example, German handed out pretzel necklaces and gummy bear food common to the German culture.

Many clubs handed out candy along with information encouraging students to join. Club sponsors included: Mrs. Strathman representing the PLTW table, Mrs. Pizzo representing the FCCLA table and there were also sports tables including Color Guard and Lacrosse. 

Key Club presented itself as a great opportunity to serve the community while also building a relationship with peers. Publications also had a booth at 8th-grade night encouraging incoming freshmen to take Introduction to Journalism and learn skills like writing, photography, podcasting, and videography.

Loukya Vaka, eighth-grader and sister to sophomore Anumitha Vaka, said that she is excited about high school due to the fact that it will open up more opportunities to help her figure out what she wants to do in life.

“Teachers set good expectations for high school, It’s gonna be harder but it will open up more doors,” Loukya said. Loukya is currently involved in the National Junior Honor Society and Builders Club at Frontier Middle School. When she bridges over to high school, she plans to join Key Club since she enjoys social service, and possibly HOSA because she plans to go into the medical field. Vaka says after high school, she plans to become a doctor but isn’t sure what kind yet.

Noelle Wise, an eighth grader who came to the high school for the orientation, said she was very excited for the new opportunity that high school will bring. Wise is involved in yearbook currently at the middle school and she enjoys editing pages and adding captions.