Filmmakers Honored at Annual Festival

Audience enjoys an entertaining showing of student films

The+audience+focuses+on+a+screen+presenting+student+films+at+North+Point+High+School.++

Anna Simms

The audience focuses on a screen presenting student films at North Point High School.

Emily Barnett, Reporter

Young filmmakers from across the district were recognized at North Point Theatre on April 13 at the sixth annual Wentzville School District Film Festival.

Filmmaker winners ranging from kindergarten through high school seniors and their families came together at 7 p.m. and lasted about an hour and a half. The audience was entertained by a presentation that included all winning films in their respective categories: instructional, informational, PSA/commercial, story, music video, news package, sports and animation.

After watching all the winning films in a category, students were able to walk up to the stage and claim their medals and certificate. The night was filled with laughter as the audience viewed students’ creations. 

At the end of the event, a winner was drawn at random for the grand prize. The Winner was “Sound Button Commercial” which featured a student using her cat and stuffed animal as buttons that could create sound. 

A few students at Liberty were honored as finalists. Sophomore Liz Hayes submitted a story for the sports category on Wentzville’s new hockey team. Hayes’ was selected as a finalist.

“I was shocked because I didn’t expect anything out of it,” Hayes said.

Sruthi Ramesh, a senior, had two film finalists titled “Over the Bridge” and “Crimson.” Ramesh thoroughly enjoyed attending the film festival.

“I thought the films made by the little kids were hilarious whether they were being silly or cinematic, they were so fun to enjoy,” Ramesh said. 

To see a complete list of film finalists, click hereÂ