Wrapping Up Mental Health Month With Healthy Study Habits

Tips and Tricks to make you successful as the end of the year wraps up.

Lydia Hamby

The most important tip of all, is to take time for yourself.

Lydia Hamby, Reporter

As the end of the year rolls around, it is important to turn all missing assignments in and get your grades up. Students tend to get stressed and overwhelmed by the buildup of missing work they neglect to do. It’s important to stay ahead so you don’t have to worry about getting behind as the end of the year rolls around. Although sometimes when it comes to the choice between school and mental health, the latter is always more important. 

Here are some tips to get you through the rest of the school year.

1. Check your grades daily

Along with checking your grades daily, make a plan of what you plan to do to get the grade you deserve. You can use websites like RapidTables to calculate the exact grade you need to get to get the grade you want in the class by the end of the semester.

2. Make a list of all your missing assignments and turn in everything you are able to turn in

Writing your assignments out on a piece of paper can help you get a visual of everything you need to get done as the end is nearing closer. For some, the visual helps create a to-do list creating motivation to check them out. 

3. Stay off your phone during class

Many of us have an addiction to our phones. Just putting away your phone while the teacher is teaching or even reviewing will benefit you on the final and even the EOC.

4. Don’t forget to take breaks

Working on homework for hours and hours at a time isn’t good for your mental health, your brain, or your eyes. According to ClassVisonCare,”if you spend hours a day staring at tiny pixels, your eyes strain from the effort, which can lead to headaches, blurry vision, dry eyes, and neck and shoulder pain.”

Many high school students suffer from back pains and headaches whether it’s the heavy loads of backpacks or the strain of your eyes. Just remember it’s important to take a break from the screen and take some time for yourself. 

5. Use your Time Wisely

When teachers give homework most give time in class, make sure you are utilizing that time to do homework. The less you have to do at home, the more free time you have to do other things like study and take time for yourself

6. Utilize Your Study Resources

There are many resources that you can use to cram in the last bit of studying for EOC’s and finals. Simple Studies offers you free resources including free study guides, pairing you up with a study buddy, essay editing and so much more. Quizlet offer premade flashcard sets and the option to make your own. Another study resource includes Socratic where you can scan your math, English, or even science questions or problems. Socratic will offer you internet results that relate to your question. Other resources that you can check out include watching videos on YouTube, playing Kahoots, etc.

Words of advice from teachers: 

Mr. Liston – “Take a deep breath and don’t always take life so seriously.” 

Dr. Smith – “Don’t be afraid to ask for help if you need it.”

Mr. Jarrett – “Seek out someone you trust, maybe someone who’s been through a similar experience and listen to their advice.” 

Ms. Pizzo – “Download helpful self-care apps such as Finch or Positive Affirmations.” 

Mr. Barker – “Start with small assignments or tasks to get yourself on a roll so you can tackle the bigger stuff later.”

Ms. McFarland – “Seek help. You’re not alone.” 

Ms. Vo – “Hang in there. School’s almost out.”