Yarn Art Takes a Compelling Turn

Ms. Biere’s seventh hour art class begins to make yarn art on the fence out near child development

Anumitha Vaka

Emily Cumberland and Amanda Dudley work on their yarn art for the Liberty fence.

Kaya Egeler, Reporter

Yarn art. It may not be something that everyone has heard about but it’s an amazing take on “hands-on art.” The students of Ms. Biere’s seventh hour art class began to decorate the fence with their spectacular artwork on Sept. 2. The students picked from various designs and made it their own. Biere’s students are really enjoying making these for the kids. 

“I decided to make an eye with a heart inside of it. I wanted a piece of art that fit under what Ms. Biere told us to do,” sophomore Ella Armbruster said.

Students were told to make art out of geometric shapes but also make it their own.

“It’s called eye heart (love) you,” added Armbruster.

“We decided to make a minion riding a dinosaur because kids usually love dinosaurs and minions and we really wanted to do something for the kids,” stated other sophomores Addison Craven and Alivia Cullivan. 

This is the first year that Liberty students tried yarn art on the fences.

I collect stuff to use in my art classes all the time,” Biere said. “One year I got a donation of yarn from the sweetest lady. When I saw the idea online I knew it would be perfect for using the yarn I have collected.”

Biere got the idea for her students to create art from yarn one day while scrolling through Pinterest. She thought it would be a good idea to do this because it would bring life and joy to boring old fences and since people walk past it everyday it could bring a smile to their faces. Biere will be making her own yarn art as well, a line design using Liberty colors. If you’d like to see this yarnwork, go down by child development to be amazed.