Districts, Here We Come!

Varsity girls volleyball team is top seeded team in district and plays Troy on Saturday

Nicki Bruns

The varsity girls talk strategy and get excited in their huddle before a game against Francis Howell on Sept. 22.

Nicki Bruns, Reporter

Liberty’s varsity girls volleyball team has been dominating their competition this season. With a record of 26 wins and only one loss, it’s no surprise that they were the top-seeded team to compete in the district tournament later this month. 

At the start of the season, it wouldn’t have been hard to predict the varsity girls’ great performance considering all starters, except one, returned to play on the team. 

Within the first two weeks of the season, the team started off with an impressive 6-0 record. During the next three weeks of the season the team continued to outperform their opponents, but they did suffer their one and only loss. Quickly getting back to their winning ways, the varsity girls continued to win game after game, giving them their number one seed in the district and a final record of 26-1.  

The team begins postseason district play Saturday when they play No. 8 Troy at 9 a.m.

Varsity volleyball competes in the district tournament at Francis Howell High School from Oct. 22 – 25.

Varsity Coach Veronica Kirkpatrick commented on what this district position meant for the team.

Being named the number one team means having the best record overall,” Kirkpatrick said. “This ranking is based on who we have played, and does not mean we should win based on the ranking. The best team will win when we play, and I hope we will be that team.”

It’s no question that the girls worked hard to achieve this position. Varsity senior outside hitter Savannah Meyer shared her thoughts on the team’s recent success.

My teammates and I have worked really hard to build our offensive and defensive flow this year, and I think the speed of our plays has been really reliable for us to catch the other team off guard,” Meyer said.  

Meyer’s comment reveals her anticipation for this year’s tournament and certain competition. 

My hopes for the district tournament are really high this year. The only two teams we haven’t beaten in this bracket are St. Dominic and Francis Howell, both of which we haven’t played at all this season,” Meyer said. “I think we have a really good shot at winning the district tournament. If we did we would be the first ever in Liberty program history! Regardless, I am so proud of everyone and the season we’ve had so far, it truly has been amazing playing with all these girls.”  

Meyer wasn’t the only one proud of the team. Varsity coach Kirkpatrick also expressed her feelings. 

The team has been playing together for a few years. They participate in volleyball when we are not in season, and each game they have played as a cohesive team, with hard work, determination, and resilience.

— Coach Kirkpatrick

I am very proud of this team and what they have accomplished so far. There are no words to express how this team has been the best team I have coached. They strive to be the best person/player on and off the court. They are not selfish, they support each other, and most importantly they love playing volleyball.”

Everyone at Liberty, including the students and the staff, wish the girls well at this year’s district tournament. No matter what happens, it’s safe to say that the girls have had an amazing season, and will make our school proud.