Small Team Produces Winning Results for Girls Golf Team

Girls golf is in the prime of their season have a winning record of 5-3
Sydney Davis
Catherine Paige tees the golf ball off on a hole at the Links at Dardenne on Sept. 25 against Howell North.

The girls golf team has won most of their matches so far in the season despite having a smaller team this year.

Due to a team of eight golfers, it is harder for them to play and hold themselves up in some tournaments and matches with a limited number of players. The team graduated six seniors from last year. However, the team is playing well and are winning a lot of their matches. They have a record of 5-3 on the season so far. 

“This year was a little scary to see how many people would be on our team,” sophomore Emerson Stubblefield said. “Thankfully a few people joined. A freshman, Jenna Means and a sophomore, Cat Paige.

The team’s expectation is to put their best foot forward, play as hard as they can to the end, and do it in a respectful way.

“They have overachieved their expectations,” coach Cole said.

Paige commented that their strengths are working on themselves and coming together as a team. One aspect she thought to be a weakness in their team is their mental game. 

Another player, junior Sophie Hegyi, said, “We are dedicated to putting in the work, as we practice 10-plus hours a week, and usually go out and practice even more on weekends or in the evenings.”

Instead of taking buses to tournaments this year, the team got a van and the coaches were the drivers.

“That was a laugh making fun of the coaches for driving a van like a mom,” Stubblefield said. 

When asked what she would say to someone interested in golf? Page responded, “They should try golf, because it’s a life sport and they could find it something to enjoy.”