What’s That Sound?

Construction of a new neighborhood begins right across the street from Liberty
Megan Geisler
Construction of a new neighborhood Creekside at Sommers begins across the road from Liberty High School.

In the past few years, Saint Charles County has been a hotspot for new developments, growing neighborhoods, and booming businesses. People are flocking from far and wide to make a home here and neighborhoods are seemingly built overnight. In fact, as you drive down Sommers Road, you may have recently noticed some new construction taking place right across the road from Liberty High School. This is to be the site of a brand new neighborhood called Creekside at Sommers. 

Built by the company Rolwes Creekside at Sommers, the new housing development is a 14.81-acre parcel that will be divided into 45 lots with common ground. Each lot will be a minimum of 6,000 square feet and a minimum width of 60 feet. 

Once roadways and basic construction are finished, Rowles will begin selling all 45 plots with a variety of housing and floor plans to choose from.

Preliminary Plat of Creekside at Sommers taken from a conditional use permit request for 2320 Sommers Road. (Application CUP23-09)

All of this new construction has also brought a lot of questions and concerns to people in the community.

“I think it’s a very bad geographic location for a new neighborhood because they are going to back up traffic on Sommers Road even more than it already is. They need to put in a light or it’s gonna be really dangerous,” senior Ian Widlacki said.

The main issue people have garnered with this recent development is the fact that the entrance to the subdivision lines up with the entrance to Liberty High School. Liberty has a total enrollment of 1,669 students and is at 97% capacity. Because of this, dismissal traffic gets pretty backed up. 

“Right now the City of O’Fallon has no plans to put in a traffic signal or anything else in at that intersection whenever the intersection is completed,” O’Fallon city official Ruth Field said.

Bulldozers have already cleared trees and other vegetation on the site of new neighborhood Creekside at Sommers. (Megan Geisler)

Creekside at Sommers, however, is not the first subdivision development on Sommers Road. Subdivisions have been popping up all over in the past few years and with every new home built is a new family that moves in. In fact, St. Charles County is currently the fastest growing county in Missouri.

At the current time there is no information on pricing or what the specific floor plans will be, however, this information should be updated in early spring.  Once roadways and basic construction are finished, Rowles will begin selling all 45 plots with a variety of housing and floor plans to choose from.

“I love new construction. I love progress and new things and all the new kids it will bring to Liberty,” Mr. Wheeler said. Wheeler, along with many others, are happy about all of the new things this subdivision has to offer.

View Comments (1)
Megan Geisler
Megan Geisler, Sports Editor of Broadcast Media
Megan Geisler is a senior and this is her third year of publications. She is the sports editor for broadcast media and a reporter for LHS Today. She enjoys playing the trumpet and loves watching movies. Some of her favorite movies include “Mamma Mia” and anything Marvel. Outside of school you will often find her spending time outdoors hiking with her dogs or working at Chick-Fil-A.

• J

Judy Marie | Jan 18, 2024 at 6:32 am

The problem is same everywhere they are not making the roads larger to accommodate the new traffic that this will draw. It’s the same on Hwy N passed Lake St Louis Blvd. I have no issue with progress just that the developers don’t think about the roads and traffic always.

Reply