Girls Basketball Soars to a Great Start

Eagles have already doubled their win total from a year ago
Sydney Davis
Leighana Shelton is one of the many freshmen who leads the girls varsity basketball team to success.

Although you might not know it, the varsity girls basketball team is really good this year. The team has improved exponentially since last season. Last year, the varsity team had five total wins on the season. The team is currently halfway through the season, and they already have 11 wins. They are 11-2 this season and a perfect 3-0 in conference play and are continuously outscoring their opponents by 10 or more points. 

“We have solid players at all levels. Just being around better players makes our practices better and just makes the player better,” Coach Walterbach said.

The girls team also has some great players. Freshman Leighana Shelton is leading her conference in points this season with 199 points and averages 15 points per game. 

She is so athletic. When she gets going in transition, not many people can stop her,” Coach Walterbach said. “You can tell she has played a lot of basketball and has a high basketball IQ.”

Allison Greer, also a freshman, is also doing well, sitting at 123 points so far, which is good for an average of 10 points per game.

The team also shines on defense. Sanaa Woods has 32 steals, and Shelton has 42 steals this season. Kennedi Brower leads the team in rebounding. 

The varsity team is not the only successful girls basketball team though. All of the girls basketball teams – varsity, JV, and freshman – all have winning records this season. After the season, the future is still looking bright for the team. Their top three scorers on the varsity level are all freshmen. 

“We lose one senior but bring everyone else back next year,” Walterbach said. “Overall, our freshman and sophomore classes are deep. Additionally, the Frontier team went undefeated this year, so we are excited.”