Two Groups Campaign in StuCo Elections

Finklang/Marino take on Hilgenbrink/Hirtz to become next school president and vice president
Caitlin McDonnell
Delaney Hilgenbrink hands out popsicles during lunch to campaign on Wednesday.

The time has arrived. The Student Council Elections are soon and there are two groups running. This year the candidates are current juniors Andrea Finklang as president and Brody Marino as vice president vs. junior Delaney Hilgenbrink as president and sophomore Chandler Hirtz as vice president.

“I chose to run because I felt like since my senior year is coming up it was time to take charge and partake in a leadership position,” Finklang said. The groups are running in order to create more student involvement in school events and spirit days. 

“A big thing I’m looking to change is getting more involvement in our events with different groups like class committees, NHS, and Publications,” Hilgenbrink said.

Both groups have Instagrams to share their campaign and gain popularity. These accounts are @voteandreaandbrody and @vote_delaneyandchandler.

I think both parties are great and I’m proud of all students for just taking the time out of their day to get involved and vote honestly.

— Andrea Finklang (11)

These groups have been posting everyday on Instagram to remind you to vote for them on Friday, March 8. They also have been hanging posters all around campus as well as giving little handouts to students each day. 

“I think both parties are great and I’m proud of all students for just taking the time out of their day to get involved and vote honestly,” Finklang said.

It is not common for rising juniors to run for student council president or vice president, so Hirtz running is a surprise to many students. “I will have more student involvement and have more fun activities,” Hirtz said.

“If I had to give one reason to vote for me specifically though, it would simply be because I love Liberty. I’m proud to go here. I love to tell everyone I meet about it and I want to be able to help other students share the same pride I have,” Finklang said.

Make sure to check your school email for a link so you can vote for your favorite candidates on Friday, March 8.