Abrupt Tornado Warning has Liberty Shelter in Place

At 7:31 a.m. tornado sirens went off in the Lake St. Louis area, which prompted students and staff to shelter
Liz Hayes
Senior Megan Geisler interviews Ethan Hagner about how the abrupt tornado warning has him feeling.

After constant severe weather warnings all morning, including thunder and lightning, at 7:31 a.m. the tornado sirens in Lake St. Louis area went off. This prompted Liberty admin to go over the intercom and say, “We need all second floor students and staff to make their way down into a room with no windows on the first floor.”

Students then moved to hallways or any open class with no windows. This is the second time in about a year that a tornado warning has happened during a school day. 

I was scared, I had never experienced a tornado warning before. We don’t have them in Germany.

— Charlize Rossow (11)

Wentzville Communications and Community Relations emailed the WSD community, “We wanted to share an update with you this morning regarding this weather conditions. All students or staff or on buses this morning  did take shelter in the nearest District building.”

“I was scared, I had never experienced a tornado warning before,” foreign exchange student Charlize Rossow said. “We don’t have them in Germany.”

Tornadoes are a common occurrence in the Midwest, with an average of 26 tornadoes per year in Missouri alone, according to the St. Charles County website. 

Storms are supposedly stopping near the afternoon, but look to redevelop mid to late-afternoon. Currently all after-school activities are still on for today.

After exactly 30 minutes after the tornado warning went off, the all clear was given at 8:01 a.m. and it was announced that it was safe to return back to classes. 

“I thought the students cooperated and did a good job at listening to the directions given by the teachers.” Mr. Hall said. “I am proud of some of the veteran teachers such as Ms. T-O taking charge and directing the students to the designated spots.” 

“At this time, we have been given the clear to resume transportation and classes as normal. Buses will be running late as they get back on the routes. Thank you to all our families and staff for your flexibility this morning,” Wentzville Communications and Community Relations said.