Bringing it Back

Seniors celebrate their senior year by wearing little kid backpacks in memory of their childhood
Seniors James Kemp, Sophia Knobbe, and Mia Knobbe show off their senior backpacks. (Megan Geisler)

Senior year has always marked as the beginning of the end. Childhood is coming to a close and the journey to adulthood is starting. This can be hard for many students as they cope with the idea of graduating and moving on. So in order to make the

most of their last year, some seniors are going back to the beginning through backpacks.

It has become a trend for seniors all across the country to wear little kid backpacks in celebration of their last year of high school. When asked what sparked this new trend, senior Bella Gamm said, “I saw the seniors do it last year and it kind of represented that you’re done, your childhood is over and you are going to adulthood.” 

“I saw the seniors do it last year and it kind of represented that you’re done, your childhood is over and you are going to adulthood.”

— Bella Gamm (12)

It’s not just seniors who are having fun with this trend though. Mrs. Church, the attendance secretary, greets students every morning and enjoys seeing all of the different backpacks. 

“I love seeing it and I think it’s super cute just like the seniors wearing fun backpacks that may remind them of their favorite show they used to watch when they were younger.”

It’s not just about wearing the backpacks though. Each backpack has an individual meaning to each student. Senior James Kemp can be seen wearing a Cars backpack to represent his favorite movie when he was younger. In fact, Kemp himself loves participating in the trend despite his friends being a little wary about the idea.

“You are only gonna be a senior once. You might as well have fun with it,” Kemp said.

“You are only gonna be a senior once. You might as well have fun with it.”

— James Kemp (12)

Some seniors chose backpacks specific to their childhood like Kemp, who sports a backpack of his favorite childhood movie “Cars” while others just chose one that made them laugh. Senior Ally Schmelz did just that.

“I went on Amazon and I searched little kid backpacks and then ‘Peppa Pig’ came up and I was like you know what that’s great,” Schmelz said. 

No matter the reason and no matter the backpack, seniors are having fun celebrating their senior year and remembering their childhood.