• May 2 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 10, Lutheran St. Charles - 1
  • May 2 / Girls Varsity SoccerLiberty High School - 3, Holt - 1
  • May 2 / Boys Varsity VolleyballLiberty High School - 3, Troy - 0
  • Apr 30 / Girls Varsity SoccerLiberty High School - 4, Zumwalt East - 0
  • Apr 29 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 6, Troy - 0

An Adventure From Spain to America

Spanish exchange student explains the cultural differences
Bryden Bell
Jamie Lacort-Grandes is experiencing life in America and all the new changes.
Jamie Lacort-Grandes (10) (Anthony Rey)

Sophomore Jamie Lacort-Grandes traveled the long way from Madrid to Missouri to experience his American experience and to live in another family for a school year. 

He is from Madrid, Spain and the reason for his exchange year is the experience.

“I wanted to come to America to experience it,” Lacort-Grandes said. 

Madrid is the capital and also the most populous city of Spain with 3.22 million inhabitants in 2018. It has a lot to do and is definitely worth seeing all the sights. He lives in an apartment in a big city because there are so many people there. It has a lot of European art to see, including many museums. 

“The food compared is very different,” Lacort-Grandes said. He likes the food in America so far and says his favorite food “is probably pizza.” 

Going to Liberty from his school in Spain has also been a big adjustment.

“The school is way bigger than my school in Spain,” Lacort-Grandes said.

Spanish students can’t choose their schedule like the students in America. The subjects are given by the government and you can’t for example choose a different level of math. Students remain in one classroom and the teachers switch the room every class. 

Another difference he mentioned are the people. “They are more friendly here,” he said. 

Lacort-Grandes misses his family and city from Spain the most, but he is happy to make that experience here.