The Taylor Swift Eras Movie Shatters Records

Swift’s movie, ‘Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour’ has broken many box office records
Brooke Ohearn dressed as Swift in her music video, You Belong With Me.
submitted by Brooke O’hearn
Brooke O’hearn dressed as Swift in her music video, “You Belong With Me.”

Taylor Swift is one of the most popular and famous singer of her time. She recently released “Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour” on Oct. 13. The movie grossed over $92.8 million in its first weekend, breaking Justin Bieber’s “Never Say Never” movie in 2011 and Michael Jackson’s “This Is It” documentary in 2009.

Swift’s Eras Tour is the only concert film to hold onto the No. 1 spot for two weekends according to Variety. Globally, the movie has grossed more than $160.4 million, it is expected to gross around $200 million. 

Fans around the world ran to theaters to watch and sing along to the film. According to CNBC, “The film’s debut is an undeniable tentpole-level success despite the challenges of predicting what it might achieve,” said Shawn Robbins, chief analyst at BoxOffice.com. “Swift, her fans, and theatrical exhibition should all be celebrating the results.” 

Swift encouraged fans to sing and dance along to her film, while fans did just that, other people who went to the movies said they could hear people shouting from the theater. People had mixed feelings about the choice to sing and dance though. 

In a tweet by LINKLAND (@Swift1989AGAIN) said,“OK. But let’s not. Consider the ppl around you. Cinema sound is not even a fifth as loud as concert speakers. We wanna hear Taylor, not off key fans.” 

Alexa Kiepe, a sophomore who went to the “Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour,” says that her theater wasn’t loud. 

“I was very disappointed when people weren’t screaming and singing. It was mostly older people in my theater.”

Kiepe says that she thought the film was going to be more like Swift’s other documentaries, but said “it was really like a concert in a movie theater.” She said she really enjoyed the film and even made friendship bracelets for the movie.   

Brooke O’hearn, a junior who also saw the film, said she was expecting her theater to be loud and crowded. O’hearn says that it wasn’t super loud though but that made it more enjoyable to watch the film. 

There was also barely anyone in there. It was also a Sunday, but the people who were there including me did sing and do the chants that people did at the concert. I was happy it was not too loud though. I was expecting it to be crowded and loud, but it was the opposite and that made it more enjoyable so I could actually hear her sing.”

O’hearn’s favorite song by Swift is “I Did Something Bad” from her Reputation album. She says “Reputation” is her favorite album from Swift because it describes all the drama with Kanye West and the VMA’s. 

“The songs on that album really spoke to me and the hard work and dedication she puts into her music and lyrics really show and they’re so inspirational and powerful,” O’hearn said. 

O’hearn loved watching Swift perform. Sadly, she didn’t get the chance to see Swift live, this film helped her catch up on things she missed while not being there.

Both Kiepe and O’hearn said this movie was like a concert in a movie theater, and it was a magical experience.

All theaters in the O’Fallon-Wentzville area are showing the “Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour.” Check your local theater for showing times.