• May 7 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 2, Howell Central - 8
  • May 7 / Liberty High School - 0, Timberland - 3
  • May 7 / Boys Varsity VolleyballLiberty High School - 1, Zumwalt West - 2
  • May 6 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 6, North Point - 1
  • May 6 / Girls Varsity SoccerLiberty High School - 1, Zumwalt South - 2

An Adventure in Dollywood

Is Dollywood worth the visit in the Smoky Mountains?
The+eagle+in+front+of+the+rollercoaster+Screaming+Eagle.+The+ride+is+one+of+the+most+popular+attractions+in+the+park.+
Charlize Rossow
The eagle in front of the rollercoaster “Screaming Eagle.” The ride is one of the most popular attractions in the park.
A guitar constructed out of pumpkins. The whole park had many different beautiful carvings and decorations. (Charlize Rossow)

Dollywood is the first theme park in the U.S. and the eighth theme park in the whole world.

During my fall break, we took a four-day trip to the Smoky Mountains in Tennessee. On the second day, we drove from our beautiful cabin to Dollywood in Pigeon Forge. It was opened in 1961 and has an area of 150 acres. It’s owned by Herschend Family Entertainment and country singer Dolly Parton. The shop had a lot of Dolly Parton inspired things and also many more souvenirs.

It opens at 10 a.m. and we came a little bit earlier, so it wouldn’t be as packed as later in the day. Dollywood has nine incredible roller coasters and we took to the “Lightning Rod” first because the line was supposed to be the longest.

“It definitely scared me at first and I did keep my eyes closed the whole time, but it was really fun,” junior Lilly Brown said.

One of my favorite roller coasters was the “Screaming Eagle” as it was a great experience. I would give it five out of five stars and it was definitely worth the waiting. 

People kept coming to the ride, but it wasn’t packed at all. I went a few days before Halloween so the decorations were great and a lot of work into all the pumpkin carvings. Later in the day, there were people who got into the Halloween spirit by dressing up in costumes.

The roller coasters were a lot of fun and we tried a lot of different ones. They also had a lot of variety and different types food. Even if the food was not my favorite, it was still good. The staff was also friendly, which helped enhance the experience. 

After the day, my legs hurt a lot because we walked so much, but it was definitely worth it. The day was amazing and for people who like rollercoasters, I would highly recommend it to them.