• May 17 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 0, Howell - 15
  • May 16 / Girls Varsity SoccerLiberty High School - 0, St. Dominic - 1
  • May 15 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 4, Timberland - 1
  • May 13 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 12, Howell North - 2

Sunset Sentiments: A Bittersweet Goodbye for Seniors

Seniors say goodbye to high school at Senior Sunset
Ella Quinney
Samantha Irlmeier poses for a picture taken by her friend, using a frame made by the class officers.

The sky was a light blue with fluffy pinkish-orange clouds, and there was a slight breeze. The perfect weather for a sunset picnic. On Friday, May 17, the class of 2024 said goodbye at senior sunset. Senior sunset is a tradition that has been going on for the past seven years. The senior class gathers on the football field, playing yard games, watching a movie, eating food, and talking to each other.

Senior Sunset holds a very special place in the graduating classes heart, Makayla O’Connor said that it represents “the end of a good year and the start of a new one.” O’Connor’s classmates agree, calling it the end of a chapter or the opportunity to be unified one last time.

A big part of Senior Sunset is reflecting upon the past four years of your life. Zoey Burright, Aicha Beye, and Leah Kaler all reflected on the time they shared in NEST time. Being in the same class, they play games like Set and the daily New York Times games, making memories upon memories together.

Anumitha Vaka said that senior sunset “marks a new chapter, and it marks us leaving our friends. It’s a really emotional day.” Senior Sunset may have these sad undertones, but it’s also a relief to be this close to the end for those graduating.

The class of 2024 will now be moving on with their lives, going off to college, to travel, to trade schools, to live their lives to the fullest, and Senior Sunset will forever be the first moment signifying this.