Struggles on the Brain

Jackson Martin discusses hardships dealing with mental health

Sruthi Ramesh

Jackson Martin uses music as a way to calm himself and deal with his emotions and thoughts.

Sruthi Ramesh, Reporter

In recent years, mental illness and taking care of it has taken a real forefront, where having a conversation is concerned. Schools have integrated informational programs, more and more people are openly talking about their past struggles in hopes of helping others, and media has shed serious light on the subject.

For some though, they may have never experienced any mental health issues themselves, or with someone, they care about. So realizing what they’re experiencing may take a while.

“If you can’t stay mentally stable, you can’t be psychically stable,” freshman Jackson Martin said. And many people are dealing with mental health issues that may make them feel alone.

According to the National Alliance on Mental Illness, one in every five teenagers deal with severe mental health issues.

Martin aspires to be a child psychologist, pointing out that he feels like he has prior experience which might help him in the future in his career.

“But I would never say that I’m better than anyone,” Martin said. “Everyone is equal.”

He also wants to join the psychology field to make some positive changes.

“It’s the second most important field out there- only after pediatrics, of course; Mental health is something that is not correctly talked about enough.”