• May 2 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 10, Lutheran St. Charles - 1
  • May 2 / Girls Varsity SoccerLiberty High School - 3, Holt - 1
  • May 2 / Boys Varsity VolleyballLiberty High School - 3, Troy - 0
  • Apr 30 / Girls Varsity SoccerLiberty High School - 4, Zumwalt East - 0
  • Apr 29 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 6, Troy - 0

Mr. Nelson Leads as the ‘Peacemaker of the School’

Learn more about the most popular person at LHS
Building principal Mr. Nelson on duty patrolling the hallways during SOAR time.
Patrick Emery

From hard service, special education teaching, and finally, principal-ing, Mr. Nelson knows the ins and outs of being a positive leader.

Mr. Nelson has had a few impressive job titles under his belt; most likely the biggest of which being building principal for Liberty for nine of the 11 years of the school’s existence. Before he was a principal, he was a special education teacher.

He originally had the inspiration to become a teacher because he loved helping his wife in her classroom, and he eventually grew to love it. Because of his experience and great work ethic, it was an obvious choice as to who should be the building principal for Liberty.

And, even before that Mr. Nelson served in the military for 10 years. During his time, Mr. Nelson managed to work his way up the ranks and become a staff sergeant.

“Out of all of my jobs, I enjoy this one the most,” Nelson said about his career in education. “My favorite part is when the kids get along, and the adults get along, and most importantly, when the adults and kids get along. I’ve always seen myself as the peacemaker of the school.” Nelson said.

He cares a lot about everyone at Liberty.”

— Mr. Pryor, assistant principal

Assistant principal Mr. Pryor has worked with Nelson for all nine years he’s been building principal.

“He cares a lot about everyone at Liberty,” Pryor said. “He wants our school to be safe, clean, and a place everyone can learn. His motto is that Liberty is a family. He listens carefully and brings about good solutions.”

Senior student Andrew Leavitt shares his four years experience of knowing Nelson.

“He’s very stern, but he has good intentions,” Leavitt said. 

When the school plunges into chaos, one thing is true; Nelson is always the one to put it back together, and we can count on him for that.