• Apr 25 / Girls Varsity SoccerLiberty High School - 2, Ursuline - 1
  • Apr 24 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 7, Holt - 5
  • Apr 24 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 4, Holt - 1
  • Apr 23 / Girls Varsity SoccerLiberty High School - 2, Howell North - 1
  • Apr 22 / Girls Varsity SoccerLiberty High School - 0, St. Dominic - 3

Edney’s First for the Choir Program

Senior Grace Edney becomes the first LHS student to be accepted into the Missouri All-State Choir
Anna Simms
Senior Grace Edney performs her solo during “The Storm is Passing Over” arranged by Charles Albert Tindley during the fall choir concert.

Senior Grace Edney has done something no other Liberty student has done before. She recently made it into the Missouri All State Choir. Edney is the first LHS students who has been accepted into the choir. Mr. Datz, the choir director, says that this is a huge accomplishment for Edney. 

“There were hundreds of altos in the district that initially auditioned, and she had one of the four highest alto scores after the audition process was all over,” Datz said. “That is an amazing feat and I’m thrilled that she will represent our school while singing in the All-State Choir.” 

To get into the All-State Choir, students would have to audition by singing a solo, quickly identifying key signatures, and singing music they’ve never seen before, which is called sight reading, while judges score them. If they score high enough, they are eligible to audition for the choir. The top four singers in each voice part get selected to the All-State Choir, alternates and honorable mentions following them. 

“This is a significant accomplishment because while Liberty has had two alternates before, Grace is the first Liberty student to be officially selected into the choir,” Datz said. “She had one of the four highest alto scores after the audition process was all over. That is an amazing feat and I’m thrilled that she will represent our school while singing in the All-State Choir.” 

Edney says that she freaked out when she found out she was accepted. Datz made a phone call to Edney’s parents with a question and asked if the phone was on speaker. She says that then Datz asked her, “Hey Grace. How does it feel to be the first Liberty High School All Stater?”

“My parents and I were screaming and shouting in the car, I was elated,” Edney said.

Edney has been singing since she was in kindergarten. Her family has a strong musical background because Edney’s dad has been singing since she was little. She loves singing because it gives her peace. 

Singing gives me an outlet to free myself from anything going on and focus a little better.

— Grace Edney

Since the Missouri All-State Choir is a highly selective honor choir, this is a huge deal for Edney. She was one of four official All-State selections. To prepare for the conference in January, the Missouri Choral Directors Association (MCDA) has given the four students who represent the district part tracks. Part tracks separate voices apart from the whole track so they can practice their individual parts. 

“There are rehearsals with the people in your district coming up Nov. 19th that allows you to practice some of the pieces with some other All Staters before you get to the big stage in January with all the districts combined,” Edney said. 

Datz says that Edeny is one of the brightest students he has taught. 

“Her light is always shining bright, whether it’s through her gymnastics accomplishments, her school spirit, her academic prowess, or just the way she loves and connects to the people around her.”