• Apr 30 / Girls Varsity SoccerLiberty High School - 4, Zumwalt East - 0
  • Apr 29 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 6, Troy - 0
  • Apr 29 / Girls Varsity SoccerLiberty High School - 2, Incarnate Word - 1
  • Apr 27 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 12, Barstow - 2
  • Apr 27 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 6, Barstow - 8

Homelessness: How One Organization Helps Those in the Community Who are in Need

Exploring struggles and hardships of a situation most of us will never experience
A+truck+provides+food+for+the+Sts.+Joachim+and+Ann+Care+Service+food+pantry.+
Lexi Daniels
A truck provides food for the Sts. Joachim and Ann Care Service food pantry.

Some of my first memories driving through the city was seeing the homeless people on the side of the road and hearing my parents say how they are lazy and only do drugs; but have you ever tried to step into their shoes and open your eyes to a new perspective on a struggle most of us will never even have to imagine? 

As of Feb. 9 2023, according to the National Alliance to End Homelessness, a reported 5,992 people were homeless in Missouri and about 1,250 in St. Louis alone, and approximately 1,210 (21%) of those individuals are unsheltered. Why isn’t it time that we ask the question, “What can we do to help?”

Put yourselves in their shoes 

Chances are, every night after school you get to go home to a family that loves you, a home cooked meal, and a bed that’s warm; you’ve never even thought of what it would be like to have nothing. Homelessness is a growing problem not just across America, but across the world. 

Homelessness is defined as the state of having no home, not just living on the street. The people you see on the streets didn’t put themselves there by choice. They could be there because of budget cuts at work, the inability to pay for needed health-care, or simply a traumatic event in their lives. Homelessness is also a generational problem; this is not something that is truly taken into consideration when people start thinking about homelessness.

What Sts. Joachim is about

Sts. Joachim & Ann Care Service is an organization working across St. Charles, Lincoln, and Warren Counties, helping those who are homeless and those who have a high possibility of becoming homeless. Located at 4116 McClay Road in St. Charles, their mission is “give people a new beginning.” They are not a shelter but instead an investment into homelessness. They are working with two types of people – sheltered and unsheltered. Sheltered can be defined as sleeping on your friends couch or living out of a closet, and unsheltered is having no place to live at all. When homeless people work with Sts. Joachim, they are getting the chance to feel more human. 

Sts. Joachim is changing people’s lives and making a difference in society. They are working towards the new future of homeless people. They aren’t giving up on people who have probably given up on themselves. They are changing the norms of society and the views of homelessness. As a society, we have most likely looked down on homeless people, probably saying, “Just get a job” or “Do something to change.” Unfortunately, it probably isn’t that easy for some people. It could be because they have a disability or have a mental illness or simply because they need to take care of their family. Sts. Joachim looks past that and does everything they can in order to get these people what they need. 

Seeing it first hand 

For those who visit, Sts. Joachim has opportunities to get food, have a place to stay, and ultimately make a plan for the future. Donna Tobin, the Director of Development at Sts. Joachim, reminds people who have come in for help, that they still have a future. 

“I’m grateful about never having to worry about being homeless,” Tobin said. Sts. Joachim not only helps with adults, but they help with the kids who can’t live with their parents anymore. Tobin also tells us how her kids have grown up with books their whole life, but some kids have never even seen a book.

“I was shocked when kids come in and say they’ve never had or seen a book,” Tobin said. 

Sts. Joachim doesn’t just help homeless people, they give them a new chance at life, living happier and stronger. It can be as simple as donating a dollar every month, volunteering and helping give out food, or donate food to their pantry. 

What You Can Do

Homelessness isn’t something happening just in the St. Louis area, it’s happening in our community too. So donate some old clothes, or some canned foods and help someone out who’s struggling in ways many of us couldn’t imagine. Visit how to help to find more ways to help those who are struggling. At the end of the day, it’s important to be grateful for the things that you have and have an open mind to others that may be struggling. Try to be kind because you never know what someone is going through behind closed doors.