• Apr 25 / Girls Varsity SoccerLiberty High School - 2, Ursuline - 1
  • Apr 24 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 7, Holt - 5
  • Apr 24 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 4, Holt - 1
  • Apr 23 / Girls Varsity SoccerLiberty High School - 2, Howell North - 1
  • Apr 22 / Girls Varsity SoccerLiberty High School - 0, St. Dominic - 3

What It’s Like to Be Loved

The personality and life of the astonishing Dan Wheeler
Anna Simms
Mr. Wheeler serves as the DJ at many of the Liberty dances, including this year’s homecoming dance.

Some of us don’t like other people. Some of us find it hard to make connections with people, but not Mr. Wheeler. Wheeler works at Liberty High School and might just be one of the sweetest people you know.

He is not only funny, but finds a place in his heart for every single student who goes to this school. At his school he was the exact same way, always loving and caring for people, he was considered the “good boy.” For someone who is like Wheeler you wouldn’t expect them to have a hero, but he does. The question was asked to Dan “Who is your hero? And why?”

Wheeler stated that his heroes were “Mr. Miyagi, John Lennon, and Snoop Dogg. Mr. Miyagi because he is tough, John Lennon because he is creative and open minded, and Snoop Dogg because he is “timeless.” 

Wheeler works very hard at this school making sure everyone is in check, while also being there for them when they need. He states that what motivates him to work hard is how he was raised. He was always raised to work hard and to be independent and strong. Some people may not know but he has a daughter named Addisyn who is in law school at Saint Louis University (SLU). He isn’t married, and never plans to be because he doesn’t believe in it. 

Accepting. Accepting because there is not one person who walks through these doors not feeling welcome or awkward about where they are because Wheeler no matter what is accepting to everyone.

— Dr. Nelson

Wheeler explained how when he first came to Liberty he knew this was where he wanted to be. He couldn’t imagine being anywhere else but Liberty because he loves the people and when he walked in the first thing he thought was how clean and beautiful the school was. He has been here for 10 years ever since it opened and he doesn’t plan on leaving anytime soon.

When asked what is one word that you would describe Wheeler, principal Mr. Nelson said “Accepting. Accepting because there is not one person who walks through these doors not feeling welcome or awkward about where they are because Wheeler no matter what is accepting to everyone.” Out of all the people that Nelson knows, he said that Wheeler was one of his favorites because “he seriously does so much for this school.”

Students also recognize the important role Wheeler plays in the school.

“He is always involved with everyone and everything, helping out wherever he can trying to make this school a better place,” Nelson said.  No matter what it is sports activities, games, announcements, Wheeler is always there to help.