A Fiery Prop Master: Bella Nagle

Bella Nagle, with colorful hair, dedicates themselves to managing theater props
Lexi Hufty
Bella Nagle holds a prop slice of cake with a smile.

Bella Nagle, a freshman, acts as the prop manager for the Liberty theater tech crew. They manage more than 50 props, obtaining or creating them and making sure they don’t get lost. They once left school early due to feeling ill, and yet is so dedicated to their work that they came back at 2:15 p.m. specifically for rehearsal so they could help with their crew. 

Nagle’s method of success is to convince themself that they don’t have a lot of time, that they are always behind. This encourages them to work more. They do, however, warn that this will not work for everyone as it can cause quite a lot of stress. 

They are in charge of all the props for each single act (different acts of shows directed by different seniors). Nagle, for the most part, works alone, with minimal help from other tech crew members. “My favorite one act was ‘Day Tripper’ because it had the least amount of props to worry about. It only needed a megaphone, some lunch trays, and a few backpacks.” Nagle said.

During the senior directed one acts, Nagle sat in the audience and watched the actors closely. This gave them perspective so that they could edit their methods – place props differently, ensuring actors had the props they needed for the next night. During intermission, they rushed backstage to make sure everything was in order. 

One of their favorite memories is a time when they were off of their ADHD medication during “Our Town” rehearsals. Mrs. Gehrke gave them special permission to spin around in a chair for that rehearsal.